I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Frankly June

She’s clingier than ivy, and she’s zingier than black-eyed susan
And springier than mabel in june

I’m daffy as a daffodil, it’s laughable the way I thrill
When roses are in bloom ~ American Beauty Rose, Frank Sinatra


Free Clipart

Roses are in bloom. Full bloom. There's a rose bush that I look out at in my small back "terrace" every time I wash dishes. Over the past month the buds have opened to reveal beautiful layers o
f deep red petals. In fact, Elizabeth and I have been tempted to snip a few of these beautiful flowers from the bush and adorn them on our table, but the potential reaction of our landlord withholds us from doing so. I suppose another thing that makes adding them to our dining table such an attraction is that I know that they should be deheaded, as they call it, in order for the plant to stay healthy. My great-grandmother raised roses, and I remember my mother explaining how the roses had to be cut at a certain length from the bush "deheaded" so that they would grow even healthier the following year.

So while things still remain in "full bloom" here in Belfast, busy and active, I sense the snipping time approaching more and more, but I've come to recognize that in many ways this year has helped me to bloom in a way that I never could have experienced in any other place. And, I think I'm not far off in saying that this experience will help me to "bloom" even more when I depart from Belfast at the end of next month.

For instance, this past Sunday I gave my first, and what I think will be my only sermon in Dundonald Methodist. Sunday was Volunteer Appreciation Sunday, and David had asked me several months ago to take the address portion of the service. I found that even though it took me a very long time to prepare what I felt called to say, I still felt very passionate and excited about the prospect of piecing together scripture with day to day life. I was truly grateful for the opportunity to do this, and to experience a taste of what the next three years of my life will hold.

Programs have been coming to a close, but things are still needed tending. Nearly 51 children attended the PaKT afterschools program last week for the final session. Even though it was a bit busy, it was amazing to see so many children so enthusiastic about having a place to come together and to enjoy one another's company. I had the opportunity to plan the last activity afternoon for the kids, and even in the chaos of 51 bodies, I somehow held myself together and had a blast! I think the kicker for me was when I was telling the kids goodbye and handing out their treats. I had a little girl named Abby come up to me and hand me a bun she had made in the cookery programme we had had that afternoon and she announced, "Hannah, you are special, and I made this for you!" Needless to say her words and the hug that followed made me smile both inside and out. I am really going to miss those kids. Every single one of them. Everyone of them has kept me on my toes. Everyone of them has taught me something about myself.

John and I will finish up PaKT+ this coming Monday with a BBQ and some activities for the kids. We were both so proud to have two of our youth participate in a Celebration of Youth event last Friday in Brooklands Primary School, located in the heart of Ballybeen. Nearly 26 acts participated in the event, and the two girls from PaKT+ devised an amazing dance routine that they performed at the event. They spent hours getting the steps together while I stopped and started the music for the rehearsal, and they really put their all into the performance. The smiles on their faces when they spoke to me this week about the event were priceless.

In other June news, DFCI is in the works of planning a week-long summer scheme for the Ballybeen community. Events are to include a soap box derby, football games and instruction, climbing walls for older youth, a Teddy Bear picnic for the mums and toddlers in the area, and much more. Needless to say, I will stay busy over the next couple of weeks, and that makes me excited.

Another event in June that I can't forget is AMY'S VISIT. My very good friend Amy from college came to visit me this past week for a UK adventure. One of the highlights was getting to go with her and Elizabeth to London to visit my second cousin, Kim. Kim works for Nike and has been living in London for the past year with her husband Scott and son John. She had all kinds of recommendations for what we should go see, and she handed us a plethora of maps to help us navigate London. We had loads of fun! From watching the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace (which, by the way included a tribute to Michael Jackson), to testing out the whisper room in St. Paul's Cathedral, Elizabeth and Amy and I enjoyed every bit of London. We even made it to two shows while we were there as well! Dave Matthews was our first entertainment stop, and then we fit in Avenue Q the night before our departure. Both were sublime, absolutely sublime, and I have pictures to prove it! hehe.

My year continues to be filled with wonderful and beautiful experiences, and though I know it will be hard to part from all that I have experienced here, I know that God is going to use this year in amazing ways. Thank you so much for your continued support and prayers.

And thanks be to the greatest Rose Gardener of all!

-Hannah

No comments: